Wednesday, September 12, 2012

PHOTOGRAPHIC INSPIRATION


This week I am learning about photography and image editing at school, and I am starting to think about how it relates to Late Bloomers.

Something I have neglected to mention since beginning the blog just over two weeks ago is that the collection is also going to include photographs that will help tell the stories I am writing.

I proposed this aspect of the project because my ultimate professional goal is to become a filmmaker. I have thought about what it means to be a filmmaker, and a significant aspect of it is being able to tell a story through an image. After all, that is what movies are: pictures in motion. 

In a class I am taking as part of the Creative Communications program called Image Editing and Web Design, we had to design and hand in a collage of photographs we created using Photoshop. I put on my headphones, listened to a song called Video Games by an emerging female artist, Lana Del Rey, and put the collage together.

I felt inspired, and I felt comforted. It is always nice to be reminded that you love what you are doing, and it made me look forward to the photographic aspect of my project. 

Something else that has made me feel incredibly inspired is the work of a young Canadian photographer named Petra Collins.

Her photographs focus on precisely what I hope to convey through my short stories: the reality of (some) young women, but the themes are universal enough for almost every young woman within North American culture to relate to on some level.

Here is some of her work. Enjoy, and find more of it featured on www.rookiemag.com, where she contributes regularly. You can also find these photographs and other work of hers at her website, www.petracollins.com. Don’t forget to check out The Ardorous, Petra’s web space where she features a variety of female artists.
 

Petra Collins

Petra Collins

Petra Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment