Friday, October 12, 2012

DELICATE BUT ROUGH


I am moving ahead with the collection and I am even surprising myself a little bit about the initiative I am taking. 

For the photographs, I want to capture girls who I consider to be beautiful, and that can mean many because as I’ve noted previously, my taste is eccentric.

This week I met with a girl named Melissa, who I knew of growing up, but had never actually met until tonight.

We met for a glass of wine and I asked her if she’d be willing to model for some pictures I am going to use for the collection. What I like most about Melissa is her smile: she has the most beautiful, straight teeth I’ve ever seen, and she is altogether a beautiful girl and I love that she looks like a bad ass, too. She is the perfect combination of delicate and tough -- to me, those qualities together create the unique beauty I associate with young women I admire.

She was kind and a careful listener, and we talked about our lives and all the people we both knew while growing up in the North End of Winnipeg. 

That’s pretty much all the progress I have to report on the collection at this point, other than keeping my senses in tune to oberving people around me and trying to decided what my ideal audience (young women in North America) would want out of a short story. When writing, I not only have to imagine things from someone else’s perspective when I am actually writing the story, but also when I am thinking about people who are going to be reading it.

What will they want to know? Feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment